The first church built in Shepherd Park, Northminster Presbyterian Church had its origins in the 1906 merger of two center-city congregations - Assembly Presbyterian Church and North Presbyterian Church. In 1908, the congregation erected the Northminster Church building is at Rhode Island Ave and 11th St NW. Northminster built a chapel at the current site on Alaska Avenue NW in 1926, which was later expanded in 1934. Unfortunately, the church building at Rhode Island Avenue and 11th St. was destroyed by a fire in 1935. Rather than rebuild the church on Rhode Island Avenue NW, the congregation decided to continue the activities of Northminster in the chapel in Shepherd Park. In the fall of 1938, a cornerstone was laid for a new building at Alaska Ave and Kalmia Road – the building which continues to house Northminster Church today. The Shepherd Park Citizens Association and many neighbors – even some who were not church members – were among those who contributed to the expansion fund. In 2019, Rev. Gay Bryon became the church’s 13th pastor.
Northminister’s mission is to be a community of inspired Christians nurtured and equipped to become effective witnesses of Jesus Christ by reaching out to others with hands that serve, hearts that welcome, and voices that carry the Good News of God’s redeeming love to all. The church strives to create an active and engaged community through music, Bible study, fellowship events, and service work in our greater community. As such, they offer numerous ways to get involved in the life of the church.