During the 1920s, the Edwin W. Briggs Company owned over 100 acres adjoining Rock Creek Park with the intent to develop the tract. In the early stages, the property was named Rock Creek Estates and the Marjorie Webster School for Young Ladies purchased a sizable site with the intent to begin construction in the summer of 1927. The first home in Rock Creek Estates was completed in May 1927 and the first model home, which was available for viewing in August of 1927, was located on Orchid Street NW.
In the fall of 1930, the Edwin W. Briggs Company set to create a colonial village and subdivided the tract in a wooded 40-acre section of Rock Creek Estates lying along Rock Creek Park, west of East Beach Drive and north of Kalmia Road. The new community was designed to be a restricted community to perpetuate a form of architecture, which was rapidly disappearing from American communities. The new community as designed to be "the first collective reproduction in America of historic colonial homes and others true in character to the period of the thirteen colonies" named "The Colonial Village of Rock Creek Park Estates." At some point in the early 1930s, The Colonial Village Inc. was established to sell homesites in the new community, which envisioned a village common at its center.
The first home constructed in Colonial Village was a reproduction of the Moore House of Temple Farm, Yorktown, Virginia, which is known as the place where Lord Cornwallis met George Washington in 1781 and signed the articles of surrender, and is located at 7926 West Beach Drive NW. The second home constructed in Colonial Village was in 1931 and is located at 1817 Plymouth Street NW. The second home was a reproduction of General George Washington's Headquarters at Valley Forge from December 25, 1777, to June 19, 1778, and was featured as a 1931 Silver Star program home.
See also: Hoffer, Audrey. “In Northwest D.C., Colonial Village lives up to its name.” Washington Post, 19 Jan. 2017.